Friday 13 July 2007

STOP PRESS



The Queen's Head, Churchgate Street, has applied for a licence variation under the 2003 Licensing Act. Although I have only just been told this, I understand that the proposal is to serve alcohol until midnight on Sundays - Wednesdays, and 1 am on Thursdays to Saturdays. There are other changes in the application, which will be available on-line very shortly, possibly by tomorrow, at:





Although I am not allowed to make any representation in my own right, I believe that as ward councillor I may if I wish make representations on behalf of specific named residents who live "in the vicinity". In this capacity I am able to write in and if necessary appear at the hearing on their behalf. Please contact me if you think you would like me to consider doing this:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul - no one public house should be treated better or worse than any other. For years, the Queens Head has not been treated fairly and I hope this will soon be remedied.

Anonymous said...

I agree with David. I am unable to see any justification with treating the Queens Head unfavourably and the other licence extensions should be reviewed at renewal to bring them back to more sensible opening hours ie 11pm

Councillor Paul Farmer said...

Licences no longer come up for renewal, although they can be reviewed. However, given the legislation I cannot see how other establishments could be brought back to 11pm. It would have to be be proved that there had been problems brought about exclusively and repeatedly (after a process of warnings) as a result of that premises being open late.

Anonymous said...

Please allow me to thank the one other person who agrees that all pubs should be treated equally, whether they are GK or not.

Anonymous said...

Depends what you mean by "equally". Should a pub in the town centre have the same hours as one in a residential area?

Anonymous said...

Anon - Bury St Edmunds town centre is a residential area. A few streets - Abbeygate for example - don't have many residents, but many others do. These people have some basic rights which include a good night's sleep.

A few years ago, Paul Farmer produced a study document showing how many residents lived in, or close to, Churchgate Street. I don't remember the number but it was a lot.

And that's the problem. Churchgate Street is within (just) the town centre commercial area but is also residential.

The other issue is what time pubs and clubs should be open and when closed. It's a constant problem and there is no ideal solution. All I am saying is that the Queens Head has had some reasonable applications turned down in the past which may have been passed at other premises just a few streets away.

Charlotte Howard said...

Anon - there is certainly an argument for pubs in a residential area, which Churchgate Street is (thank you David for remembering my oft quoted survey), closing earlier than those in the commercial centre of town.

David - your last comment is much more reasonable.