Saturday 1 September 2007

B***er the begonias!

One of my electors (not the first) has been asking me about safety improvements for children crossing Westgate Street at the Bridewell Lane end. Those from the Southgate Street/Saxon Gate area walk up Maynewater Lane and have difficulty in crossing to reach the Guildhall Feoffment school. Their only safe alternative is to walk all the way to the Catholic church end and use the crossing there - and walk all the way back.




As David has said in my previous post, such improvements are always difficult to obtain, and in this case funding for a refuge has not been forthcoming from SCC this year.



That's not much use to my elector or other mums/dads, and after a few polite exchanges an email finished:



'We need to protect our children and provide a safe environment for them to get to school and back. I am not willing to see a middle class and mature population shape the future of Bury St Edmunds, to be honest Paul I do wish to say "bugger the begonias and look after the children of Bury".'



This was a reference to an earlier post of mine about floral improvements to the junction of Maynewater Lane and Southgate Street, which look even better now:

This gentle (and I think justifiable) chastisement led me to discuss the subject again with the officer concerned, and I hope there may be a way forward - albeit a long way.

Anyway, my elector (who is extremely pleasant) got my attention and action. It was a better ploy than calling me boastful (see BFP letters).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While accepting that the refuge at the junction of Westgate Street and Crown Street isn't ideal, especially if there is also a younger sibling in a pushchair, it may be the best option until funding can be found for a safe crossing in Westgate Street.

An alternative route would to cross by the begonias, walk along the eastern side of Southgate Street, Sparhawk Street, and the northern side of Honey Hill towards Crown Street. The crossing there is partially obscured for parents with pushchairs by 'The Gates' but at least Tuns Lane is closed to through traffic nowadays.

When my two sons were pupils and my daughter was a baby, I used to walk down from Moreton Hall past St James' and always found Tuns Lane a bit of a nightmare as cars used to sweep round from Bridewell Lane without warning.

Paul - I have just found the reference to 'boastful' in the BFP letters yesterday but think there should be a plaque erected somewhere saying 'Sooty Slept Here'.

Picklesmum said...

I liked the 'boastful farmer' line. Maybe there could be a whole chain devoted to various councillors! But who is Sooty and where did he sleep?